iTOL access modes and subscription models
With the constantly growing number of active users and uploaded trees, we have tried to find a sustainable model to maintain and extend iTOL, as well as provide technical support to our user base. Therefore, starting with 1st of October 2020, certain aspects of iTOL require an active subscription, as detailed below. For academic users, we offer individual and institution-wide subscriptions. For companies, individual and company-wide subscriptions are available. Please visit the pricing information page for a detailed list of all available options.
If you have any questions, or need additional information about the iTOL access modes, please contact us.
iTOL access modes
- User account can be used normally, with unlimited creation of workspaces and projects
- New trees can be uploaded into user projects without restrictions
- All tree annotation features are available, but the annotations cannot be saved. After completing the annotation, users have to export their figures right away.
- Tree views or dataset parameter changes cannot be saved
- Batch upload mode is not available
- Existing trees in user's account can be viewed and exported without restrictions, but no new annotations, parameter changes or views can be saved
- Extisting trees and annotations remain permanently accessible, regardless of the subscription status
- All iTOL features are available without restriction.
- Tree annotations, parameters and views saved during an active subscription remain accessible indefinitely, even when the subscription expires.
- Trees and data uploaded through the batch mode during an active subscription remain accessible indefinitely, even when the subscription expires.
- Therefore, an active subscription is required only when users want to add new annotations to their trees, create new saved views, or use the batch upload.
iTOL annotation editor subscription
- Includes all features of the standard subscription
- Full, unlimited access to the iTOL annotation editor for Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
- All tree annotations created with the editor during an active subscription remain accessible indefinitely, even when the subscription expires.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When will I need a subscription?
- Subscriptions are required starting from 1st of October 2020.
- Which subscription options are available?
- Please visit the pricing information page for a detailed list of all available options.
- What happens if I don’t have a subscription, or when my subscription expires?
- All iTOL annotation features remain fully accessible even without a subscription, as detailed above. You can always access your iTOL account and all uploaded trees without any restrictions. Trees can also be annotated with new datasets, but these new annotations cannot be saved to your iTOL account. You have to export the tree figures right away, or the changes will be lost. Any annotations that are saved during an active subscription remain accessible indefinitely, even when you are no longer subscribed.
- Are there any special options for teachers or courses?
- If you are using iTOL for student assignments or in your classroom, please contact us. We will be glad to provide free accounts for your students, with full iTOL access for the duration of the course.
If you have any further questions, or need additional information, please contact us.